I received these beautiful essential oils from Aroma Foundry in exchange for a blog post. Although I received these for free I have not received any monetary compensation and all thoughts are my own.
Aroma Foundry is a very new essential oil company based out of the United States with a variety of essential oils. They’re unique quality is that they are transparent in the origin of their ingredients, which I LOVE. Here is a direct quote from their website explaining this:
After extensively researching the industry, we were not surprised to find many competitors source their oils as cheaply as possible from rather dubious corners of the planet. A trained nose can smell the difference. We pledge transparency about country of origin (and even state in many cases), and we work hard to source our oils from where the best inputs are grown. For example, our orange oil is from California and our sage oil is from Spain, each locale famous for their crop.
When I received these oils, I was pleasantly surprised with their packaging and the quality. I couldn’t wait to use them and I thought a DIY face oil recipe would be perfect!
I recently got into making my own natural, organic skin care and I’m obsessed! I’ve always had acne prone skin and go through phases of break outs and dry skin from living in the harsh winters of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I reached a point where I did not know what the heck to use on my skin anymore and was spending lots of money on chemical laden products that were only making my skin worse. I was always told, never use products with oil on acne prone skin because they will make you break out; but, this information is totally false!
There are lots of oils on the non-comedogenic list that are actually good for and improve acne prone and oily skin. Here is a link to a great article on one of my favorite blogs that explains non-comedogenic oils very well:
Here is a list of oils I have experimented with and my experience:
- Hemp Seed Oil – My holy grail! Out of all the ones I have tried this is my favorite by far! The only con is hemp oil has to be stored in the fridge, but it’s totally worth it. Individuals with acne have been shown to have low levels of linoleic acid in their skin surface lipids and hemp oil is high linoleic acid.
- Castor Oil – Another one of my fav’s, this oil is very moisturizing so I use it at night. Castor oil is very unique because it contains mostly ricinoleic acid which helps to protect the skin against invading viruses and bacteria. It also has the ability to stimulate collagen and elastin and promotes cell turnover, promoting new skin layers.
- Jojoba Oil – Controversial for acne prone skin; people either love it or hate it. It is actually a wax not an oil and mimics the skin’s sebum so it decreases oil production making it beneficial for oily skin. There is a purging phase with this oil in when you start using it so you might experience breakouts. It has a rating of 2 on the comedogenic list so it still can cause problems for some people. In my experience, this is not my favorite! It does make me break out and I don’t like the feel of it on my skin.
- Argan Oil – Also high in linoleic acid, this oil is also great for acne prone skin and has a comedogenic rating of zero so it’s a winner over jojoba for sure. Super high in Vitamins A and E this oil also reduces sebum levels and is super moisturizing.
- Rosehip Seed Oil – Another one of my holy grails, again also high in linoleic acid making it wonderful for acne prone skin. It helps to correct UV damage, lighten scars, even skin tone, treat fine lines and wrinkles and is high in vitamin A. Definitely a winner in my book!
- Tamanu Oil – Another winner; not only does it lighten acne scars, is an anti-microbial and has a natural SPF of 18 – 22! What?!! Amazing! The only con is you cannot use it if you have an allergy to nuts.
- Sweet Almond Oil – I have yet to try this oil on my face but use it in a DIY body moisturizer that I love. Almond oil also has a rating of 2 on the comedogenic scale so it too can also cause a problem but it’s super high in Vitamins A and E and has a really good rating on acne.org so I’m going to try this one out next on my face.
*Coconut oil is hugely popular for skin care, but I’m so sorry to break it to you that it is VERY pore clogging and listed as a 4 – 5 on the comedogenic scale. And remember 5 is the highest. I steer clear of using coconut oil on my face, but love it for everything else!
Let’s talk about this recipe and using essential oils in skin care. Essential oils are great to add to face oils because the base oils acts as the essential oil’s carrier so there is no risk of the essential oil irritating your skin. This is awesome because there are so many essential oils that are great for your skin. I chose to add Ylang Ylang and Lavender because they are powerhouses in the anti-acne department.
- YLANG YLANG: Extracted from the flowers of the Cananga odorata tree, ylang ylang is a natural skin balancer that can correct both dry or oily skin and is beneficial when treating acne. Ylang ylang oil also has antimicrobial properties that can help reduce skin irritation and redness, and is an antiseptic so it will help heal your acne.
- LAVENDER: The oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can fight the bacteria that cause acne and inflammation. It also helps control sebum and is a powerful antioxidant aiding in detoxing the skin.
It’s super easy to make your own face oil and your skin will thank you for it! I hope you found this information helpful. 🙂
A Natural face oil for that will help fight and prevent acne!
- 1 Glass Amber Dropper Bottle small to medium
- Hemp Oil
- Rosehip Seed Oil
- 4 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
Fill your dropper bottle ¾ of the way with hemp oil. Leave a little bit of wiggle room for the dropper lid.
Fill the rest ¼ of the way with rosehip seed oil.
Place 4 drops of each essential oil into the dropper bottle.
Place lid on and shake. That’s it, super easy!
Hemp oil needs to be refrigerated so this oil will have to stay in the fridge. Shelf life approximately 4 months.