This is my first post in a quite a while; since October to be exact! I had to take a break from my blog to focus on other projects such as courses and piano lessons. Unfortunately I have a full-time day job just like everyone else, (booh!!) so my schedule can be overwhelming at times. My new project for this year was to re-vamp my blog which I am now focusing on, and I have a new-found passion for this I did not have before; especially with food photography. I have so many great ideas for my site and I can’t wait to share them all with you!
This recipe is re-vamped from my first post EVER on my blog called Cookie Dough Protein Smoothie. They are basically the same this one’s just a little better! I drink (eat) this smoothie on a regular basis as I have a chocolate addiction problem and I’m obsessed with smoothies. I love adding Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein powder to this since it adds so much creaminess and does a good job on thickening it up.
Let’s talk chocolate!
There is so much controversy circulating the web around raw cacao. I have done my fair share of research on the subject since I have a raw chocolate farmer’s market business and this is my conclusion: yes, cacao contains caffeine, yes, it is a stimulant and yes, eaten in certain forms contains a lot of fat. But… it is a healthier trade-off from conventional chocolate and other desserts since it does not contain all the added sugar, dairy and processed ingredients, and surprisingly contains quite a few health benefits. Obviously use your common sense and eat it in moderation, but you can consume it knowing that you are also nourishing your body while curbing your sweet (chocolate) tooth!
Here are just some health benefits of this wonderful superfood called Cacao:
- Improves Mood: Cacao contains anandamide – known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria.
- Aphrodisiac: Cacao contains phenethylamine, which triggers the release of endorphins and pleasurable opium-like neurochemicals. These often release naturally when we fall in love and during sexual activity
- Prevents Cardiovascular Disease: Flavanols an anti-inflammatory and heart protective antioxidant found in raw cacao may protect against cardiovascular disease, reduce the risk of stroke, and help improve blood circulation.
- Prevents aging: Polyphenol antioxidants found in cacao belong to the same group of antioxidants as green tea and red wine. These anthocyanins (found in dark-colored fruits) and catechins (found in green tea) protect our cells from premature oxidation or destruction and can keep us looking and feeling younger longer.
- Combat Fatigue: With one of the highest concentrations of magnesium found in this natural food source. Magnesium also helps to protect against osteoporosis, reduces type II diabetes, and lowers blood pressure.
- Healthy fats: Your body needs fat contrary to what some health practitioners preach. Fats are the helpers that create chemical reactions for: growth, immune function, and metabolic function. Healthy fats found in raw cacao are similar to the monounsaturated fat found in olive oil.
Read more: here
See, as far as I’m concerned, the health benefits are FAR way too good not to consume raw cacao!
Enjoy this recipe and drop me a comment to let me know how you liked it!
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 scoop of Sun Warrior Warrior Blend Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder or carob powder
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon mesquite powder
- 2 cubes of ice
- 3 drops of stevia optional
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup of almond milk or any vegan mylk
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.