Hey Everyone, this is my third pumpkin post so far this fall; what can I say, I am in love with pumpkin! American thanksgiving is coming up quick, and there is no better way to use your left over pumpkin from making those awesome pumpkin pies than to make a vegan pumpkin pie milkshake! I used real pumpkin but you can also use canned pumpkin puree.
Not only does pumpkin taste great, it is also considered a superfood; and here is why:
- Boosts Vision – A cup of cubed pumpkin contains almost twice the recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which promotes good vision, especially in dim light. It has also been found to slow the decline of retinal function in those with retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative eye disease that can lead to blindness.
- Lowers Blood Pressure – Pumpkin seed oil is full of phytoestrogens which research shows are beneficial for preventing hypertension. When researchers fed rats a diet supplement with the oil, they found that it helped lower both systolic and diastolic blood pressure in just 12 weeks.
- Protects against cancer – Pumpkins — especially the seeds — are rich in beta-carotene and other antioxidants with cancer protective properties. And pumpkin seeds could be especially healthy for men.
- Heart Healthy – Pumpkins and pumpkin seeds are high in fiber, and professionals found that those who ate a diet high in fiber had a 40 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease, compared to those who ate a diet low in fiber.
Read more from the source here.
Raw pumpkin can be overwhelming, but the spices, maple syrup and coconut whipped cream I added to this milkshake balance it quite nicely. Enjoy making this recipe!
- 1 can full-fat premium coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place all ingredients except pecans into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more liquid if required.
Add more or less sweetener desired to taste.
Place can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
Remove can, turn upside down and open with a can opener.
Drain out all coconut water.
Remove hardened coconut milk from the can and place into a bowl with maple syrup and vanilla and blend on high speed with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
Place a dollop of coconut whipped cream on top of the pumpkin pie milkshake and garnish with pecans.