This is probably the best recipe I have EVER MADE! I wanted to make something special for my co-workers for my last day at work and these were a big hit! I bought a ton of fresh strawberries and this was the perfect dessert to add them to. These really are not spicy; I added a little cayenne pepper in the crust to give them a bit of a kick! The Cayenne pepper pairs really well with the smooth cashew cream and sweetness of the strawberries.
The only sweetener I used in this recipe was a little bit of Agave Nectar in the cashew cream. Yes, the crust is made with dates, but I think people forget how good dates actually are for you. Here are few reasons why you should be adding dates to your diet:
- Although dates contain high amounts of natural sugars, they are actually a low glycemic index food.
- Loaded with fiber – just one date contains 6% of the RDI.
- Lowers triglycerides.
- Excellent source of Iron, Vitamin B, Copper and Potassium.
Lets not forget about the amazing Cashew cream in this recipe! Cashew cream is my new favorite recipe to make, it’s so easy and resembles a non-dairy cool whip, and not mention so freakin’ good! I have some left over so I will be making more yummy desserts this weekend! For best results, make the cashew cream the night before and place in the fridge overnight to thicken up. It is okay if you have extra because there are so many things you can do with Cashew cream; use it as a dip for your fruit, icing for cupcakes, muffins, be creative!
If you do not have 4″ tart pans, a muffin tin lined with saran wrap will also work for mini strawberry cream tarts! The tart crust should set in the fridge or freezer overnight or for a half hour. You can be creative with adding your spin on the tart crust; you can add more cacao powder or use any kind of nuts or even mix them up! A favorite combination of mine is half pecans and half walnuts. Chocolate drizzle would also be really good on these; check out my raw chocolate recipe here.
Again, probably the best recipe I have made so far, you have to try these, you will love them!
Spicy Strawberry Cream Tarts
For the Crust
- Place almonds into the food processor and pulse until a powder forms, but with chunks of almonds still present.
- Add in the dates, cacao powder, vanilla bean powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Pulse until a dough consistency forms and the dough is sticking together. Be careful not to over-process or the almonds will release too much oil.
- Remove the dough and place into 4" tart pans lined with saran wrap.
- Press dough evenly into mold.
- Cover with saran wrap and place into freezer.
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Mixture should be so thick that you will need to use your tamper.
- Once blended, place cream into a glass container and put in the fridge.
- For best results leave cashew cream in the fridge overnight to thicken.
- Remove tart pans from freezer and cashew cream from fridge.
- Use a pastry bag or a spoon and place cashew cream into the crust. (l like to overflow the tart, you can fill it up as much as you like.)
- Cut up fresh strawberries and decorate how you wish.