Hey Ya’ll!! Okay, all of sudden I’m southern… 🙂 I’m feelin’ really good on day 3 of my juice cleanse! I feel lighter, clear-headed and have lots of energy. I did however eat some fruit again today, I had some grapes this morning and fresh pineapple this afternoon. I cut some fresh pineapple for my green juice and I could not resist eating some because it is one of my favorite fruits!
I started reading a booked called Prescriptions for Dietary Wellness by Phyllis A. Balch which includes a very informative write-up on juicing. The first paragraph is really powerful:
Juicing is one of the most powerful healing tools available. Fresh, “live” juices supply the body with the concentrated nutrients and enzymes needed for the nourishment and regeneration of the body’s cells, tissues, glands, and organs. There have been numerous accounts of people who have healed themselves of degenerative diseases using live juice as a therapy.
I made another green juice, this time with swiss chard and since swiss chard flavor is really powerful in a juice I added a tropical twist. Do not let the color scare you, chard is a member of the beet family and the stems are red. I promise you, this juice tastes wonderful, the pineapple, apple and lemon take over.
Top reasons to add chard to your diet:
- High source of folate and Vitamin B
- Improve digestion, boost energy levels and correct calcium deficiency
- Helps to control urinary tract infections, hemorrhoids and skin disease
- Key nutrients include: calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper, vitamin C and E
Next I made a citrus mint juice; this was amazing! When juicing you should always add fresh herbs wherever possible; people often forget that fresh herbs are full of powerhouse nutrients and mint is one of them.
Top reasons to add mint to your juice:
- Eases insomnia, upset stomachs and nervous tension
- Helps the body break down fat by stimulating bile flow
- Shown to increase the number of phagocytes, cells that destroy pathogens, bacteria and cancer cells
- Key nutrients include: vitamin C, vitamin A, Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and iron
Juice Cleanse Day 3
- 1/2 fresh pineapple
- 4 large leaves chard including stem
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 green apples
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cucumber
- large handful cilantro
- large handful spinach
- 3 grapefruit
- 3 navel oranges
- 1 pear
- 1 lime
- 2 sprigs of mint
- For each juice follow the instructions of your juicer.
- I have an Omega 400HD VRT so I wash, peel citrus and cut all my produce into small pieces.
- Once put through the juicer, strain with a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer to a mason jar and store in the fridge for 72 hours.