Warm Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Soup
This cooked sweet potato and pumpkin soup is full of flavor, creamy, plant-based, gluten-free and a crowd pleaser.
- 3 cups yams (the orange ones) peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sugar pumpkin peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium or homemade
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 1/4 cup coconut milk canned preferably no gaur gum
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp high mineral salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat until melted.
Add onion and garlic and cook until onions sweat and brown a bit.
Add all spices and stir until combined.
Pour vegetable broth into pot and bring to a boil.
Add pumpkin, sweet potato and boil on medium heat for 20 minutes or until potato and pumpkin are soft.
Pour soup into a blender, add coconut milk and blend until smooth.
Peel the sugar pumpkin with a sharp knife and deseed before chopping.
STORAGE: sealed glass container in refrigerator 1 day.